Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Love Heals - Thistle Farms

Tonight, I went to a fundraiser for Thistle Farms. The title of the event was "Welcome To The Circle". If you're not familiar with Thistle Farms, it's an organization of women that help save women from prostitution, drugs and sex trafficking. Their slogan is "Love Heals". They love the women unconditionally, no matter where they are, and brings them the healing they need to pass their struggles.

The only reason I had heard of the event at all was because Jennifer Nettles was singing, so a friend mentioned coming to Nashville for it. I was looking forward to meeting some old friends and new friends beforehand. There were a lot of Sugarland friends I had back in the day that I never had the chance to meet. Tonight, I met a couple of them. I became quick friends with Savie, the 12 year old daughter of one of the Sugarfriends. She reminds me so much of myself. Also met Sara, whom I hadn't known before I sold one of my posters on a Sugarland fan page. She ended up getting the poster, so I brought it with me instead of having to mail it. Was so excited to finally meet Kim. Had wanted to meet her years ago, but through circumstances out of my control, it didn't happen. Today, that got remedied. And seeing Brandi is always a trip. Love that woman.

Walking into the Ryman Auditorium, I didn't know what the event held. I had heard of Thistle Farms in passing, knew a little of what they were about, but not really. They played a video near the beginning. Watching that video, it suddenly occurred to me how easily I could have ended up in that life. I've had passing thoughts every once in a while that, without my faith, I probably would have ended up on the streets or dead by now. They were all only passing thoughts, easily forgotten. Tonight, it hit me hard. The only thing separating me from the life these women have led to the one I'm leading now is the faith my mother instilled in me from birth and the love she gave me all my life.

During the second half of the program, they played another video. It was interviews with different women that were in or had graduated from the program. They were talking about how they got into the life, how long they had been clean, all that. All of them had a common thread. They were all abused as children, most by family members. Statistics say that almost every woman that's in prostitution and such were molested between the ages of 7 and 11. Those years, I also had been sexually abused. So how did I not end up in the same cycle they fell into? The only thing I can think of is God and my faith in Him.

I didn't pledge or donate directly tonight, but I did buy three cards made out of thistle paper from the table. They're beautiful, so I'm not sure I want to actually fill them out and send them. Someone in the group suggested framing them, which sounds like an excellent idea.

I've been feeling very disconnected from God for longer than I'd care to admit, or even think about. But tonight, I think this unexpected blessing has opened my eyes to how close He has been to me, even when I couldn't see it. Maybe, just maybe, I'll return to the strong faith I believed myself to possess when I was a teenager.

No comments:

Post a Comment